Dump Kneecap from Glastonbury line-up demands Starmer after member of group charged with terror offence

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

THE Prime Minister has called for Glastonbury to axe Kneecap from its line-up after a band member was charged with a terror offence.

Sir Keir Starmer said it is “not appropriate” for the Irish hip hop group to cash in at the festival.

GettyThe PM has called for Glastonbury to axe Irish hip hop group Kneecap from its line-up[/caption]

GettySir Keir Starmer says it is ‘not appropriate’ for them to cash in at the festival[/caption]

Rapper Liam Og O hAnnaidh, appeared in court last week accused of displaying a flag in support of banned terror group Hezbollah at a gig.

O hAnnaidh, 27, who goes by the stage name Mo Chara, was bailed until later in the summer — leaving him free to play at Glastonbury.

Asked by The Sun on Sunday if he thinks Kneecap should play, the PM, left, said: “No I don’t.

“I think we need to come down really clearly on this. I won’t say too much, because there’s a court case on, but I don’t think that’s appropriate.”

The Belfast group are due to play the West Holts Stage on Saturday. Bandmates Naoise O Caireallain and JJ O Dochartaigh have supported O hAnnaidh.

They said at court: “For anybody going to Glastonbury, you can see us there at 4pm on Saturday.

“If you can’t be there we’ll be on the BBC. Most importantly: free, free Palestine.”

The BBC last night faced pressure not to air Kneecap’s set, after Tory leader Kemi Badenoch said: “It should not be rewarding extremism.”

A spokesman for the broadcaster said: “Decisions on our output will be made in the lead up to the festival.”

Published: [#item_custom_pubDate]

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TOP STORIES