DOMESTIC abuse victims will be able to get cash payments of up to £2,500 to help them escape life-threatening situations.
A £2million “flee fund” is being set up by the Home Office after the success of a Women’s Aid trial last year, which was supported by The Sun.
AlamyDomestic abuse victims will be able to get cash payments of up to £2,500 to help them escape life-threatening situations[/caption]
GettyMel B is a patron of domestic abuse charity Women’s Aid[/caption]
From January 31, victims can apply for a one-off grant of up to £500 for essential items such as groceries and nappies.
They can also ask for cash up to £2,500 to find a safe place to live.
Former Spice Girl Mel B said: “I am so happy the government fund for survivors of domestic abuse will continue.
“I am proud to have campaigned as patron of Women’s Aid and with The Sun on this important issue and thank the government for listening to our voices.”
On a visit to a refuge in London yesterday, minister for victims and safeguarding Laura Farris said: “This fund is absolutely pivotal.
“I have huge respect for The Sun.”
The £300,000 trial helped 626 women.
Women’s Aid chief Farah Nazeer said: “This will make life-changing improvements to the lives of countless adult and child survivors, allowing them to take those first steps towards a life free of abuse.”
Published: [#item_custom_pubDate]