EDDIE HOWE is still in the dark over Alexander Isak’s future and REFUSES to rule out him playing for Newcastle again.
Though the Magpies boss admitted he cannot wait for 7pm on Monday and the transfer window closing.
ReutersEddie Howe says he has ‘no update’ on wantaway Alexander Isak’s future[/caption]
PANew Newcastle United signing Nick Woltemade watched the draw at Elland Road[/caption]
Wantaway Isak, who Liverpool are preparing a British record £130m bid for, was absent again as Toon drew a second blank from three games without the on-strike Swede in the goalless draw at Leeds.
Howe has managed to bring in £69million German star Nick Woltemade to bolster his attack but is still desperate for more firepower.
After the Elland Road stalemate, he claimed there was “no update” on Isak and that he had not had “any communication” with the rebel but did stress that Newcastle are still “actively looking” to strengthen.
On what’s next for Isak, he said: “I don’t know. I’m not party to any talks going on.
“I have been preparing for this game which is demanding enough. I will find out like everyone else.”
He then refused to close the door on keeping Isak and reiterated his belief that he could be brought back into the side despite becoming public enemy No1 with the Toon Army.
He said: “Yes, from my side I’ve said it all along. While he’s still contracted to us that has to be the way.”
After bringing in Woltemade, Toon are pushing to try and sign Brentford’s Yoane Wissa or Wolves ace Jorgen Strand Larsen before sanctioning Isak’s exit.
SUN VEGAS WELCOME OFFER: GET £50 BONUS WHEN YOU JOIN
TRANSFER NEWS LIVE – KEEP UP WITH ALL THE LATEST FROM A BUSY SUMMER WINDOW
Howe added: “Being the manager you are always hopeful that you can maybe add one more that can make a difference.
“But I am really happy with the work we have done so far and I think we are a lot stronger than last season.
“Fingers crossed we might be able to do some more.”
Howe said he’ll be glued to his phone until the deadline passes – and then he’ll start getting excited to see exactly what he has to work with after a sumer of turmoil.
He added: “We are really looking forward to having that clarity on what our squad looks like and then of course the noise around us couldn’t have been easy for the players to deal with throughout pre-season either.
“Once we have clarity we will move forward and I’m sure we will do really well this year.”
Isak to Liverpool transfer saga timeline
JANUARY: First links to Liverpool emerge
FEBRUARY: £150million record fee mooted
MARCH: Isak denies Newcastle contract talk
APRIL: Eddie Howe hails Isak as “very professional.”
MAY: Howe insists Isak will not be sold
Last match in Newcastle shirt
JUNE: Transfer links to Liverpool heat up
JULY: Flies with Newcastle for Austria training camp
Left out of Celtic friendly
Liverpool hijack Toon’s Hugo Ekitike deal after making Isak enquiry
Doesn’t travel for pre-season tour of Singapore and South Korea, citing injury
AUGUST: Training by himself at Newcastle
Liverpool have £110m bid rejected
Isak stops training and goes on strike
Moves out of his apartment
Releases angry statement blasting ‘trust has been lost’
Newcastle respond by insisting he won’t be sold unless it benefits club
Creator – [#item_custom_dc:creator]