Hamas confirms death of terror boss Mohammad Sinwar dubbed ‘The Shadow’ months after IDF said he was killed in airstrike

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

HAMAS has confirmed the death of its Gaza military chief Mohammad Sinwar.

It comes months after the IDF said Sinwar, known as “The Shadow”, was killed him in an airstrike.

Mohammad Sinwar (R), the main Hamas chief in Gaza, has been confirmed dead

He was the younger brother of deceased Hamas leader Yahya Sinwar, the main architect of the October 7 attacks

In May, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed Sinwar had been eliminated in an airstrike.

The terror group confirmed his death today, but did not give any further details.

Mohammad Sinwar was the younger brother of Yahya Sinwar, the main architect of the October 7 attacks.

Sinwar took command from his older brother after the boss was killed by the IDF in October 2024.

Netanyahu told parliament while reading a list of Hamas leaders killed in Israeli blitzes: “We eliminated Mohammad Sinwar.

He continued: “We eliminated tens of thousands of terrorists, Mohammad Deif, Hassan Nasrallah, Yahya Sinwar.

“In the last two days, we’ve been executing a dramatic plan toward the complete defeat of Hamas.

“We’re taking control of their food distribution and money machine. This is what destroys their governing capabilities.

“That’s what we promised.”

Israel bombed what it said was Hamas’ command centre under the European Hospital in the southern Gaza Strip.

The IDF is believed to have used bunker-busting bombs to target the underground complex in the attack that allegedly eliminated Sinwar.

It reportedly targeted the exits of the subterranean compound with the aim of preventing the escape of any survivors.

Hamas said at least 40 people had been injured in the attack.

Military analyst and ex-army officer Colonel Richard Kemp said that the development was “very significant” in Israel’s war against Hamas.

He said that the chief had been “the leader of Hamas in Gaza since his brother was killed by the IDF last year”.

Now that the terror leader’s death has been confirmed, it leaves a power vacuum at the head of Hamas.

Experts fear a power struggle between its military and political wings.

Colonel Kemp continued: “There is no obvious successor for Mohammad Sinwar now.

“So it may be that what we could see is some kind of a power struggle inside Hamas in Gaza.

“And perhaps even more significantly, a power struggle between the Hamas leadership in Gaza and the higher level leadership in Qatar.”

More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online

Thesun.co.uk is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.

Published: [#item_custom_pubDate]

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TOP STORIES