THE parents of a boy killed by a driver who jumped a red light told her: “You may as well have killed all of us.”
Christopher Arnett’s dad Lee, 49, faced Evie Wiles in court yesterday to tell her that she had stolen his son’s future, adding: “I will never forgive you.”
Simon JonesChristopher Arnett with his mum Claire[/caption]
FacebookMum Claire told his killer, Evie Wiles, pictured: ‘I mourn the fact I won’t watch him grow into a man. He was one of my best friends’[/caption]
Simon JonesWiles went through a red light and hit 14-year-old Christopher as he walked home from playing with pals after school[/caption]
And the boy’s chemistry teacher mum Claire, 52, told his killer: “I mourn the fact I won’t watch him grow into a man. He was one of my best friends.
“My family and I will never forgive you for putting us through a trial and this horrific ordeal.
“You not only killed Christopher, you may as well have killed all of us. Our lives will never be the same again.”
Wiles, now 25, had been texting her girlfriend as she drove her Seat Leon to pick her up to go to a football match.
She went through a red light and hit 14-year-old Christopher as he walked home from playing with pals after school.
Former mortgage company office worker Wiles showed no emotion when she was jailed for five and a half years at Luton crown court yesterday.
And she was similarly unmoved when her victim’s parents addressed the court. Claire railed at her: “You’ve not once said sorry. You never even called 999.”
The mum of two was unable to hold her Star Wars fan son’s hand as his life support was turned off a day after the crash in Hemel Hempstead, Herts, on February 2, 2023.
Claire said: “I wanted to hold him. I wanted to kiss his face. But they wouldn’t let us take the tubes out.
“It’s a very peaceful process and I’m honoured that I was there for it. I was there when he was born, I was there when he died.”
Wiles was found guilty in January of causing Christopher’s death by dangerous driving.
She had been messaging her partner — but claimed the lad had not used the crossing properly.
Judge Andrew Hatton told her: “You were distracted by your phone.”
Published: [#item_custom_pubDate]