Tupac Shakur murder suspect Keefe D still in custody despite winning bail bid – but lawyers hopeful he can pay $750k fee

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

THE self-confessed gangster and drug dealer charged with the murder of Tupac Shakur has been granted bail ahead of his trial for the rapper’s death.

A judge set ex-Compton Crip gang leader Duane “Keefe D” Davis‘ bail at $750,000 at a hearing at Las Vegas District Court on Tuesday.

AFPSelf-confessed Compton gangster Duane ‘Keefe D’ Davis was granted bail at a hearing in Las Vegas on Tuesday[/caption]

GettyTupac Shakur was gunned down in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996[/caption]

YouTube/The Art of DialogueBefore his arrest, Keefe D boasted in TV interviews and books about being involved in Tupac’s murder[/caption]

Keefe, 60, had been in protective custody at Clark County Detention Center since being arrested in September.

Judge Carli Kierney listened to arguments from Keefe’s legal team and Las Vegas Chief Deputy District Attorney Marc DiGacomo before making the decision.

Kierney argued Keefe maintains a reputation as a “brutal leader of a gang.”

The judge admitted that key factors, specifically Keefe’s comments about killing Tupac, were relevant.

“There are lots of people still scared of him,” Judge Kierney said.

She set bail at $750,000, and if Keefe posts it, he will be released on house arrest.

Keefe’s public defender, Robert Arroyo, stressed it is unclear whether his client will be able to make bail.

“We are hopeful,” Arroyo told reporters after the hearing.

KEEFE BACKTRACKS ON COMMENTS

Keefe has since denied being the shot caller behind the assassination of Tupac in September 1996, despite making confessions in a memoir and several media interviews.

The former Compton gangbanger has been behind bars since his arrest as his public defenders tabled arguments on why he should fight the case from his home in Henderson, Nevada, about 20 minutes southeast of Las Vegas.

Prosecutors were adamant that Keefe remains in custody over major concerns he could tamper with witnesses.

The district attorney stated that there is “one constant” that Keefe was the “architect” of Tupac’s killing.

They added that there is much “corroboration” from witnesses that Keefe was gang kingpin in 1996.

Prosecutors added Keefe could not claim his book and media interviews were not real because on video for a TV show, on camera he stated: “I have cancer. I have nothing left to lose.

“I want to set the record straight,” he added while holding up the book on camera: “This is the truth.”

More to follow… For the latest news on this story, keep checking back at The U.S. Sun online. The-Sun.com is your go-to destination for the best celebrity news, sports news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures, and must-see videos. Like us on Facebook at Facebook.com/TheSunUS and follow us on X (formerly Twitter) at @TheUSSun.

Published: [#item_custom_pubDate]

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

TOP STORIES